Thursday, May 8, 2008

Undercover Savants - 1995 Demo

Undercover Savants - 1995 Demo
Genre: Punk
Year: 1995
Format: Cassette

Tracklist:
01. Ska #2
02. Cheese in the Attic

Lineup:
James Pecis - Bass, Vocals
Brett Eastman - Guitar
Andy Sasson - Drums
Aaron - Vocals, Horn

UCS recorded these two songs in 1995, splitting studio time with Utility. This was only a few months after I was asked to leave the band, they told me they didn't need 2 guitar players and that I was "too good of a player" (haha) for this type of punk and I'd be better off in a band like Utility. Interestingly a few days later I got a call from Mat asking me to join Utility. Conspiracy I say! After I switched bands, they added a different vocalist to sing the more hardcore influenced songs who also played some sort of wind instrument, maybe the clarinet? He's on track 2, James sings on track one. In any event this is the recording that was made that day, and I still like it a lot. This was my first band ever, and as far as I know the first Straight Edge band redding ever had (we started in 1994, when we were called "Idiot Savants" and got a ton of shit from everyone in the scene for being straight edge, including getting 9 volt batteries and master locks upside the head while we played). Pretty silly to try and rip off FYP, OpIvy and YOT and try and make it work, but these were some of the most rad times I had learning how to be in a band, book shows, make flyers, etc. This never came out to the best of my knowledge, so like the Utility stuff, I made cover art out of flyers. I have a VHS of our 2nd show (w/ the Struggle Buggies and Utility at the Milleville Grange), we played a ton of songs and the sound quality is pretty good, I'll rip the audio and put it up here someday.

http://rapidshare.com/files/113536665/Undercover_Savants_-_1995_Demo.rar.html


No comments: